Configuring Reporting Services Mail Delivery Using hMailServer SMTP To Gmail Relay

I have a SQL Server installation at home that I use as a sandbox and also for a small system I built for monitoring the stock market (more on that in another post to come). As part of that system I have a reporting services report that I’d like to email to myself on a set schedule during the day.

The SQL Server is on a Windows 10 machine which does not come with IIS and SMTP anymore, so I needed another solution to be able to get these reports emailed out. After Googling a bit, I found hMailServer, which is a free, open source email server for Windows. After you have downloaded and installed hMailServer, these are the steps to take to configure Reporting Services to email subscriptions through Gmail. This tutorial assumes that Reporting Services and hMailServer are on the same machine.

Configure Reporting Services

This is the easy part. Open Reporting services configuration manager, go to E-mail settings, and set them up as follows (replace with the email address you are going to be using):

Configure hMailServer

This is the part I struggled with a little bit. I’m not really an SMTP/email guru. To setup the SMTP relay in hMailServer, go to Settings->Protocols->SMTP and select the Delivery of e-mail tab. Fill in your gmail settings here.

Remote host name:

Remote TCP/IP port: 465

User name:

Connection security: SSL/TLS

Now under Settings->Advanced->IP Ranges, click on My computer and make sure Require SSL/TLS for authentication is not checked, and make sure you do not require authentication for SMTP, as pictured below.

Gmail Settings

Gmail has a setting called “Allow access to less secure apps”. this needs to be enabled in order for this to work. If it is not enabled, you will probably get an email like this.


If you are having trouble, these are some steps to take to get to the bottom of it.

  1. Enable logging in hMailServer. Go to Settings->Logging and enable logging for SMTP.
  2. Check the message on the Reporting Services subscription page.
  3. Check your spam folder – the reports might be going there.



SSIS Error: The component is missing, not registered, not upgradeable, or missing required interfaces.

I got a weird error the other day in SSIS that said “Error: The component is missing, not registered, not upgradeable, or missing required interfaces.” It was referring to an XML source component in a data flow. I am not sure if this error is specific to XML sources, or it just occurred because this happened to be the first component that got initialized. I am using Visual Studio 2015 Community and SQL Server 2016. After much wailing and gnashing of teeth I figured out how to fix the the problem. You need to change the “Target Server Version” property of the SSIS project (right click on the SSIS project and select properties to get there) to “SQL Server 2016”. Originally it was set to “SQL Server vNext”.