I got a weird error the other day in SSIS that said “Error: The component is missing, not registered, not upgradeable, or missing required interfaces.” It was referring to an XML source component in a data flow. I am not sure if this error is specific to XML sources, or it just occurred because this happened to be the first component that got initialized. I am using Visual Studio 2015 Community and SQL Server 2016. After much wailing and gnashing of teeth I figured out how to fix the the problem. You need to change the “Target Server Version” property of the SSIS project (right click on the SSIS project and select properties to get there) to “SQL Server 2016”. Originally it was set to “SQL Server vNext”.